Friday, May 20, 2011

Recent Creations.

Hand of Hamsa - Red/Black/White Batik
Basic rundown: I took a long strip of white cotton cloth (has to be an all-natural fabric for the wax to soak through), did an outline of my design in pencil, painted the parts of the design I wanted to remain white with melted Gulf Wax. Once I wa ssure the wax was compeltely dry and had soaked compeltely through the cloth, I dipped the cloth in red fabric dye and let it sit for approx. 6 hours. I removed it, let the cloth dry, and waxed the entire background (the part I wanted red.) Once that wax had dried, I scrunched it up in my hands to crack it and let it soak in black dye for approx 1 hour. (That's what gives it the tie-dyed look, and the black around the hand. Done as a project for my Arts & Crafts class.

I'm hoping to do a larger, more difficult batik sometime this summer - I'll try to remember to do a detailed how-to when I get around to it :))

Annnd some other stuff I've done recently;;


Jacob and I <3
Gel pen and sharpies! Haha. Drew this for him. It's hanging in his room :)



Mother's Day Turtle Mosaic
Part of my mom's Mother's Day gift. She's really into island-y stuff and the ocean, so I thought a turtle would be appropriate. I don't care too much for mosaic so I probably won't do a how-to on this one, but I'm sure Google has plenty! Also done as a project for my Arts & Crafts class.



I love art :)) I'll try to keep posting my best stuff on here. I'm hoping to get a lot of stuff done this summer! <3
More later! 

Laurenn.

1 comment:

Jake said...

Creeper takin' pictures of my room. :p